THE TANGRAM CHANNEL PROVIDES TEACHERS AND STUDENTS WITH A VARIETY OF FREE TANGRAM ACTIVITIES
Tangram Of The Week
Click Here to Download the Free Template
Rules of the tangram puzzle
Coming from China (read its brief history), this logic game brings the mathematical thought of Asia and incorporates it with bright colours and charming figures.
A tangram puzzle focuses on the objective to rearrange the seven separate pieces into a complete image of various shapes (in outline or silhouette only).
The classic rules are simple : all tangram pieces (or tans) must be used, they must lay flat, all must touch and none may overlap.
Available Now on
All categories of tangram patterns
What does a set of tangrams consist of ?
Tangrams shapes are geometric. A complete set is formed from seven polygonal flat pieces.
In a tangram puzzle set there are :
- 5 isosceles triangles of various sizes (2 large congruent triangles; 1 medium-size right triangle; 2 small congruent triangles).
- 1 square
- 1 parallelogram (the only tangram shape that may need to be flipped when forming certain figures).
The seven individual tangram pieces are called tans.
History of Tangram
Tangram puzzles are thought to have originated in China in the Tang Dynasty of the Middle Ages, although some claim that they are over 4000 years old. This rich history of applied gaming found its way to Europe in the early 19th Century.
Finding popularity with those eager to exercise their brain power in an original way, the puzzles took their place as a prestigiously educational form of entertainment.
Tangram & basic concepts of geometry
When teaching children about geometry, tangrams are often used because they are fun and effective teaching aids.
So let's explore a whole world of geometry in the very old dissection puzzle called the tangram.
How to play tangram with videos in a competitive way ?
www.tangram-channel.com provides fun videos which allow two (or more) players to compete against each other with their tangrams.
- Each player must have his own tangram puzzle .
- The players start the game by selecting a video clip here.
- Each player tries to build the tangram pattern shown in the video as fast as possible before the timer runs out.
- The player who solves the puzzle first wins 1 point and chooses the next video.
- Whoever solves five tangram patterns (5 points) is declared the winner.
Solo mode :
Take your tangram pieces, launch the video and try to solve the puzzle before the timer runs out.